Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sky might fall

Still haven't landed a job, but it's not all bad. I've had plenty of time to work on my portfolio (although, I've spent a lot of time doing nothing). I'm sitting on a couple unfinished projects and once they are done it will look like I've actually accomplished something. The one unfinished project is my self portrait 3D model. As soon as I learn the freeform modeling tools in Max, the sooner I can retop my character and get him done. But before I do that, I want to finish this digital painting I'm working on. I started it a week or so ago and it's really coming along. Not wanting to give anything away, I'll just say it's a realistic interpretation of one of my newest favorite cartoons. It should be done within the next few days...I hope.

Speaking of drawing and painting, I may have landed that comic book gig. Maybe. I don't want to jinx myself or give out any info about the project, so I'm just going to leave it at that. But it's definitely exciting and I hope it all works out.

This past week I saw two movies, one of which was The Social Network which was very well done. I loved the characters (probably more than I would love their real life counterparts) and I loved the overall story in general. The other movie was Let Me In which is a literal remake of the Swedish film Let The Right One In which is a visual representation of the Swedish book of the same name. I read the book before I saw the original movie and really enjoyed it. The Swedish film was ok but lacked a lot of what made the book special. The new film really takes the original and remakes it shot for shot the same (except for the cat scene which was traded out for a car crash). The movie wasn't bad, but kind of unnecessary. The book still beats both and is probably more horrifying than the two movies combined (Tommy locked in a pitch black storage room with a mutilated, undead, pedophile...)

After playing the demo for EAs MMA today (which I had to sign up for an EA account using my email before i could play it
Also, Dominance War 5 is slated to start at the beginning of next year. If I'm not elbow deep in comic book art, I would really like to enter it. I don't believe I would be able to do that well (I probably wouldn't even place) but I think it would be fun and it would give me a project with an actual deadline which would contribute to me actually getting it done. As of right now, I have no idea how to enter the thing, but I made a new GameArtisans account and am waiting for further information to come forth. So that's something for me to look forward to.

There's a lot of stuff going on even if it looks like it's a lot of nothing.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment